Update: September 2015

September 13, 2015

It's been a long time since I got out a really good post, I know. I think I just got out of the swing of things when I was on holiday and then I had one last week to relax before returning to school for year 11 which has been a lot harder and tiring that I remember. But anyway, I'm back. This week I'm just going to start things off with a simple update post; what I've been up to, etc.

So let's start with the holiday. I left home early on the morning of August 12th, and we got a taxi to Heathrow, from where we caught our flight to Bangkok (arriving on the morning of the 13th). For those of you who have been reading for a long time, you will remember from the last time I visited Bangkok that my grandad has an apartment there which we stayed at. This time, we stayed at the Avani Atrium, just down the road from Asok. This was because my grandad was actually in Bangkok at the same time as us, I'll get to this later though.
On the Thursday which we arrived on, we had a rest at the hotel for a little while before heading out into the city. We first visited Siam which is one of the most famous parts of Bangkok, mainly for its shopping centres. We had a look around the Siam Centre, as well as Siam Paragon and the MBK Centre which is my favourite place in Bangkok! After spending a few hours here, we took the BTS to Phrom Phong where we met my grandad and had dinner at the Royal Oak English pub. Yes, I know what you're thinking, "he went to Thailand to go to an English pub", but hear me out. The food at this pub was the best I had all holiday. Maybe it was because it was the first Thai food I'd had in over a year, but it was still amazing. For anyone who would like to go there, I recommend the chicken and cashew nuts. You can't go wrong with that!
The next day, we went out into the city with grandad again, this time we visited the Grand Palace (which we didn't get round to last time). On the whole, I wasn't too impressed with it. It was great, don't get me wrong. It just seemed the same as the temples we've already seen. There wasn't much else to see there because once you've seen a few temples, you've seen them all! They're all very much similar inside and out, and the grand palace was really no exception. There were a few extra buildings around the sides which looked to be the actual palace (it wasn't very well sign posted), but that was closed so we were just looking at the exterior, which I can do from the comfort of my own bed using the internet. I'm more of a walk around and create a mental map in your head, kind of person. You can't do that when all you've got to work with it an exterior.
Next, we headed back to Saphan Taksin on the public boat. From here, we got a long tail boat through the canals, which was great. We did it last time but it doesn't get boring, it's just amazing to see how some people are living and - to refer back to my last post - how happy they were living there. After this, we had a coffee before splitting with my grandad and heading to Asiatique where we had dinner. I love Asiatique because it's just full of life and there's stuff going on everywhere. You can't get bored there.
The next day was our final one, and we spent it in the city once again, before heading to the Octave skylounge to have a few drinks with my grandad and his wife, who had arrived in Bangkok earlier that day, before heading to The Huntsman in Nana. We came here a lot last time we were in Bangkok but we never got to see the band play there. My grandad has specifically advised us to go to the Huntsman to see the band because he is good friends with the members, but unfortunately they were out of town. This time we did get to see them though and they were great.
The next day, we spent the morning by the pool before heading to the airport to catch our flight to Koh Samui. When in Koh Samui, we did a lot of things including elephant riding, waterfall swimming and quadbiking. I loved quadbiking. The bombings which happened in Bangkok also took place during the time we were in Koh Samui, and it was very scary to think that we were in Bangkok just a few days before they happened. Not only were we in Bangkok though, we were in the exact places that the bombings took place.
Anyway, on our final day in Koh Samui, my grandad and his wife also flew down to Koh Samui and we met them along the beach as well as having dinner with them on the beach, which was very nice.
After 6 days in Koh Samui, we flew down to Phuket (after only just making it in time for our flight).
In Phuket, we stayed in Patong. We were quite a way out of the main town though so it wasn't too busy, we were close enough to get into the main town within 5 minutes though. When in Patong, we went into the town every day which was great because there was so much to see.

On one of the days, we also did a two hour quadbiking excursion which was AMAZING. We were on dirt tracks going up mountains most of the time which was great because it was the same mountains that elephants go on so it was very rough terrain. We also went on the roads, up the Big Buddha which was amazing to see.
On another day we saw the Simon Cabaret which is a lady-boy show. Despite what you may think about it - and what I thought about it before seeing it - it was actually really good. It was funny and we had an overall good time when watching it. I'd definitely recommend this if you're in Phuket.
After 6 nights in Phuket, it was time to come home and then after that, I had a week of relaxation before returning to school.
Also while I was on holiday, I had received an email from a lady from Bernard Matthews who wanted to nominate myself and BBHS Eco Group (pictured to the left) for a Bernard Matthews Youth Award. I filled out the form and sent it off to her, and a couple of days ago I was contacted with some good news - we've been shortlisted and invited to the awards ceremony in Norwich on October 27th. Unfortunately I am unable to attend but my team are going and I'm wishing them the best of luck in doing so. I'm sure they'll do great and come home with an award!
Other than this stuff, I've been very busy with school coursework as well as running the Lowestoft Kuk Sool Won blog. I will however be returning to this blog starting from this Thursday so be sure to check back then for a new blog post. Until then, have yourself a good week!

You Might Also Like